Our Music Curriculum in School
‘Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity.’
Our music curriculum is ambitious and all staff share high expectations for all children in learning music, regardless of starting point, background or educational challenges. We aim for every child to be able to:
- perform, listen to, review and, evaluate a diverse range of high-quality live and recorded music, including the works of the great composers and musicians
- sing, chant and to use their voices expressively and creatively, both on their own and in groups of varying sizes, including in simple, complex, multi-part rounds and partner songs
- explore how music is created, produced and communicated, including through the inter-related dimensions: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations
- experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music
- create and compose music on their own and with others, practising, refining and performing, playing tuned and untuned instruments musically
- have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument and explore their talent as musicians.
- use technology appropriately and have the opportunity to progress to the next level of musical excellence
Our Music Curriculum - Charanga
Learning Music at Home
RelaxDaily has an extensive collection of calming music that your children can play as part of mindfulness activities, or when they are working on other educational tasks.
Kidz Bop produce child-friendly versions of popular songs. Can your children learn some of the lyrics or dance along with the moves shown in the videos?
Classical Kids Storytime features children’s stories that are accompanied by classical music.
If you have an iPhone or iPad at home, you can download GarageBand for free and have a go! There are lots of free resources and handy video clips on YouTube; just search ‘Garage Band for kids’ or ‘Garage Band for Beginners’